Become a Bus Driver or Bus Monitor
- Paid, on-site training is provided at the rate of $20.87 per hour for full-time hires with no experience and $16.00 per hour for part-time hires.
- School bus driving experience may be considered for higher wages for full-time employees.
- Military veterans may receive credit for up to three years of active duty service.
- Except for four training days, drivers have the same holidays as students.
- There is no required weekend work.
- Opportunities are available to earn extra pay, such as working during the summer or driving for school field trips or athletic events.
Flexible, part-time hours are available for those interested in working less than five hours a day, to include driving a route on set days, such as Monday, Wednesday and Friday, or driving a route only in the morning or afternoon. Part-time drivers do not qualify for District benefits.
The Houston County School District pays for all or part of the following benefits for full-time drivers:
- State health insurance;
- Dental insurance;
- Long-term disability;
- Basic life insurance;
- Sick leave;
- Employee Assistance Program; and
- Gym membership.
Other optional benefits include short term disability, supplemental life insurance, dependent life insurance, and Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and dependent care. In addition to the state Public School Employees Retirement Plan, the District offers a matching 403(b) plan.
Hourly rate is determined by verified years of experience.
Bus Drivers Compensation & Benefits
Compensation and benefits values linked to the circles below are based on verified years of experience.