In the Houston County School District, our mission is to produce high-achieving students and safety is our number one priority. We strive to meet the academic, social-emotional, and health needs of all students, with a goal to provide a quality education which serves the diverse learning needs of our students and families.
In response to COVID-19, our district is offering two learning options for the 2020-2021 school year: instruction at school or distance learning at home through Houston Virtual. Details about each option are provided below.
The Houston County School District will offer parents the opportunity to change their student’s learning option, either to or from distance learning, for the second semester. Open enrollment will be held online Nov. 12-19, 2020, for all K-12 students. Changes will be effective Jan. 5, 2021, the first day of the second semester.
This is the final opportunity to change from distance learning to in-person instruction or vice versa. The learning option will be effective for the full 18-week second semester, from Jan. 5 through May 26, 2021, for all grade levels. Changes will only be accepted during the open enrollment period.
For parents who prefer to continue with their child’s current learning option, no action is required. Students will automatically continue with their current learning option, if no change is made.
In preparation for Open Enrollment starting November 12, please ensure your parent portal is update-to-date in Infinite Campus. For instructions and parent portal link, click here.
Our first option allows students to return to campus with enhanced health and safety protocols, which our schools will review with students. The health and safety protocols include:
- coordination with local health officials;
- increased hygiene and sanitation protocols;
- enforcing social distancing where practicable;
- encouraging face coverings or masks for students and staff;
- utilizing directional hallways where possible;
- limiting parent and visitor access to the office area only;
- keeping students with their cohort as much as possible, to include recess and lunch; and
- avoiding large gatherings, such as assemblies.