Good personal appearance, appropriate dress, proper behavior, and cleanliness are vital to each member of the school community.
Developing good tastes in attire, good grooming habits, and good behavior are a part of the educational program. Students of the Houston County School System are expected to dress in a manner that is supportive of a positive learning environment that is free of distractions and disruptions. There is a direct correlation between student dress and student behavior.
Students will be expected to observe modes of dress, styles of hair, and personal grooming which support the learning environment. The purpose of this dress code is to assure that consistency and interpretation is implemented county-wide, thus providing equitable treatment for all students.
In making a judgment concerning the appropriateness of a student’s dress or grooming, the principal should adhere to the guidelines set forth in the procedures that accompany this policy.
The principal of the school is charged with the enforcement of the student dress code. The principal is given wide latitude of discretion in the determination of proper or improper dress and behavior of students. Students who are found to be in violation of the dress code are subject to disciplinary action.
The principal’s actions may include: Counseling the student Warning the student Calling parents to bring a change of clothes After school detention Placing the student in in-school suspension for the remainder of the day Suspending the student short-term Recommending long-term suspension (for flagrant or repeated violations)
- Outer clothing which resembles loungewear, pajamas, or underwear is prohibited.
- Fads and styles in dress which differ extremely from conventionally accepted standards are prohibited.
- Any clothing that is viewed as distracting because of extremes in style, fit, color, pattern, fabric, etc., shall not be permitted. Undergarments may not be exposed at any time.
- Blouses/shirts should be constructed so that the top of the shoulder is covered and is fitted under the arms (no halter tops, tank tops, strapless tops, spaghetti straps, or bare-shouldered tops of any type will be allowed).
- Blouses/shirts which expose any portion of the waist, hips, or midriff are not allowed. Blouses/shirts which are not appropriate for school include those which are low-cut, see-through, backless, or tube tops.
- Holes in clothing that are excessive in size or amount, are a distraction to the learning environment, or allow skin to show are prohibited.
- In accordance with board policy governing student conduct with regard to bullying, weapons, gangs, and drugs: clothing shall be free of inflammatory, suggestive, racial, or other inappropriate writing, advertisement, or artwork. This includes offensive words and designs, violence (blood, death, weapons), sex, playboy symbols, hate groups, tobacco products, drugs, and alcohol.
- No clothing or other article may be worn or displayed which may indicate membership in a gang at school or any school function.
- Pants, skirts, shorts, and dresses must be knee-length or longer. Sagging pants are not allowed and pants must be worn at the waist.
- Excessively long shirts must be tucked in.
- When leggings are worn, a dress, shirt, or skirt must be worn over the leggings. The dress, shirt, or skirt must be mid-thigh length or longer.
- Shoes/sandals must be worn at all times.
- Cleated shoes are prohibited inside the building.
- House/bedroom slippers are not acceptable.
- Students may not wear ornaments (jewelry) which pierce the skin such as the nose, lips, tongue, eyelid, etc.
- Students may not wear hats, caps, bandanas, sunglasses, combs, picks, etc., inside the building.
Hair & Grooming
- Hair must be well groomed. Only natural hair coloring will be permitted. Extreme hairstyles and fads that would interfere with the learning process, cause a disruption of the educational environment, or be a health or safety hazard are prohibited.
- Facial hair should be neat, clean, closely trimmed, and not be a distraction to the learning environment.
- Due to variances in physical design of schools, principal’s discretion will apply to wearing of outer garments, coats, and jackets.
- Students may wear coats/winter garments to school, but may be asked to store them in their lockers during the school day.
- Students are encouraged to bring lightweight jackets to wear in the building as changes in weather dictate.
NOTE: Principal discretion applies to all of the above.
(Pre-K - 5th Grades)
The provisions of the high school and middle school dress policy apply except for the following: Students in Primary-3rd grade may wear tank tops. Shorts appropriate for young children are permitted.
Appropriate dress, appearance, proper behavior, and cleanliness are vital to each member of the school community. Developing good tastes in attire, good grooming habits, and good behavior is a part of the educational program. Wearing inappropriate dress to school can have a negative influence on the educational process and the educational climate of the school.
Each student, with the advice and counsel of his/her parents or guardian should dress in a manner which is appropriate for school and its related activities. Students dressed modestly will generally have no problems concerning student dress codes.
The following guidelines are followed in determining whether or not a studes attire is appropriate...
The dress, apparel, ornament (jewelry), or grooming is not detrimental to the health and safety of the student or other students.
The dress, apparel, ornament, or grooming is not detrimental to the educational process or the educational climate.
The dress, apparel, ornament, or grooming is consistent with conventional standards of modesty and decorum.
The dress, apparel, ornament, or grooming is free from words, slogans, or pictures, which advertise drugs, alcohol, or sex or which contain vulgar or offensive writing, racial slurs, suggestive pictures or emblems or which may infer membership in gangs.
The campus administrator of the school is charged with the enforcement of the student dress code. The campus administrator is given wide latitude of discretion in the determination of proper or improper dress and behavior of students. Students who are found to be in violation of the dress code are subject to disciplinary action. The principal's actions may include:
- counseling the student
- warning the student
- calling parents to bring a change of clothes
- placing the student in in-school suspension for the remainder of the day
- suspending the student short term
- recommending long-term suspension (for flagrant or repeated violations)
All clothing is to be worn appropriately and in the manner for which it was designed. For example, a shirt designed to be tucked in the trousers or skirt should be worn with the shirttail tucked in. Belts should be buckled. The school reserves the right to establish rules during the school year regarding new fashions in dress. The following rules for dress, apparel, ornament, and/or grooming apply:
- Outer clothing which resembles loungewear, pajamas, or underwear is prohibited.
- See-through clothing is prohibited. (T-shirts must be worn under mesh see-through shirts.)
- Proper underclothing which insures modesty is required.
- Shoes/sandals must be worn at all times. Cleated shoes are prohibited inside the building.
- Clothing that is too tight so as to be immodest is prohibited.
- Clothing which has holes cut or torn that may expose the seat or parts of the body unique to the male or female is prohibited.
- Halter tops, backless blouses, strapless blouses and dresses, sleeveless T-shirts, bike shorts and short-shorts are prohibited. Shorts appropriate for young children are permitted.
- Students in grades Pre-K through 3rd grade may wear tank tops.
- Fads and styles in dress that differ extremely from conventionally accepted standards are prohibited.
- Hair must be well groomed; extremes in style and color should be avoided.
- Students may not wear hats, caps, combs, or picks, etc., inside the building.
- Extremes in clothing style, color, pattern, and fabric should be avoided.